Friday, June 24, 2005

Robins' Nest


robins
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
Yesterday morning was warm enough to eat breakfast al fresco. I was treated to the song of a common whitethroat, previously unheard in the garden in the 8 or more years we’ve lived here. However, I didn’t catch so much as a glimpse of him, thanks to the density of the hawthorn, but I could hear his song get progressively more distant as he presumably moved away along the row of lombardy poplars behind the house.

Something I did catch a glimpse of was a jay, as it swooped right in front of the car, as I drove past Temple Newsam on the M1, on my way home.

In the evening, it was nice to watch the pair of robins that are nesting in the ivy on the hawthorn at the bottom of the garden. They’re always to be seen with beakfuls of food for their chicks. They both sit in the buddleia before going back to their nest. The parent birds are the only birds that will still feed in the garden whilst my little boy is tearing around with his rake or some other such ‘weapon’. Those chicks must be hungry!

We all know how round and tubby robins look on Christmas cards so it was unusual to see how sleek and skinny they both looked. Hopefully, it’s just because of the warm weather, making them flatten their feathers down to keep cooler.

No comments: