Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Lime Avenue


lime avenue
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
We went to Thorp Perrow Arboretum at the weekend. I can’t recommend a visit to an arboretum highly enough, especially at this time of year. I love the autumn colour as I’ve said before, and the lack of strong winds in these parts so far, has left the leaves to colour up nicely.

Richard Bell describes it brilliantly, and so much better than I ever could, “there's autumn colour around, especially in the ashes, rowans and horse chestnuts, which glow as if they'd been illuminated from within but there's also plenty of dull drab green - the colour of waxed jackets and hiking trousers.” (Click here to see the full entry with illustrations.)

You can add ‘lime trees’ to that quote. The sketch is my impression of the Lime Avenue, an impressive stand of mature lime trees, spectacular and stately in the watery sunshine of late October.

No comments: