Saturday, May 06, 2006

Whaling in Leeds


whale jaw bones
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
The other day, I drove through Rothwell (SE Leeds) a different way to my usual route, and this is what I saw. Less than a mile from the M1 motorway is a pair of whale's jaw bones (I felt that something so unusual couldn't be so close to something so usual as the M1). In fact, it's not just jaw bones but a bench to sit on between them as well - of course.

You can understand the whale jaws at Whitby, with a history of whaling from the port, but Rothwell? It's about 70 miles to the sea. The plaque just says they were renovated as part of the Millenium Project. I've searched on the internet for info with no luck so next week I'll go to the local library and see what I can find out.

It just goes to show that the out of the ordinary is just under your nose and if you try to do things differently you might be surprised at what you find.

Technical info - sketched in sepia ink with a £1.29 fountain pen from Staples.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Wow -- that's pretty cool!