Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Massive Skies


north of sheffield
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.

Went to a wedding at the weekend. Deb’s cousin got married and the reception was at Thurcroft, near Sheffield. It was a nice day, with nice food and lots of kiddies for Nathan to go and play with. Again there were swifts everywhere I went, with a top count of well over fifty, hawking for insects, above one of the road junctions between the church and the reception.

Driving home in the evening along the M1, you could see the Peak District, beyond Sheffield, backlit by a low sun and beneath a towering tiered bank of grey cloud. It made me think of the BBC series – Picture of Britain. Having had no artistic or literary training myself, I wouldn’t know cubism from impressionism, I’m a great fan of this program, I feel like I’m getting just a little bit of an education. I also envy David Dimbleby getting paid to drive round in a Land Rover, and a Defender at that – dream transport! But, and this is the thing, top marks go to the photography, it’s fantastic, it doesn’t seem to matter where he is, he’s always topped by massive skies and the most awesome cloud formations. Words don’t do it justice, you’d just have to watch the program.

I must finish this post with a tale of Yorkshire folk. Deb helped her mum and dad to book a weeks’ holiday in Scarborough at the Crown Hotel. Deb was just saying how they’d need to get a taxi to the hotel from the railway station, as it’s a bit far to walk with bags, when her mum said “Aye, but I’m not telling them I’m staying at the Crown – they’ll charge me double! I’ll get them to drop me at the Belmont, round the corner and I’ll walk from there.” There’s no answer to that.

No comments: