Monday, July 11, 2005

Room with a view - Scarborough


roof
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
On a lighter note (and in a separate post because I can’t work out how to put two pictures in one post), we went to Scarborough on Saturday and stayed at the Crown for the night. Deb’s mum and dad were staying too, so we got to go swimming and to go the beach together. The sea breeze tempered the heat and made it a really pleasant weekend. It was a wrench to come home on Sunday afternoon, to the sweltering inland heat and to the thought of stifling work clothes like socks and ties.

We didn’t have a sea view as it cost an extra £25 (and I’m too mean) but as the receptionist said to us, understandingly, “well, I suppose you only need to step out the front door, don’t you?” During quieter moments I managed to draw part of the view from our hotel window. This view is fairly urban, considering the proximity of the North Sea. I sketched the chimney pots and roof, then I had to wait an age until a herring gull landed on it so I could complete the drawing. I struggle to leave even a sketch without something living in it.

1 comment:

Cin said...

like your sketch very much, glad you waited for the gull, it adds just the right touch