Monday, September 19, 2005

The UK's number one...


woodies
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
I like woodpigeons. There's plenty that don't. Farmers aren't keen because they damage crops, gardeners ditto and twitchers because they're so common probably. Unlucky, because apparently, woodpigeons are seen in a larger percentage of British gardens than any other species of bird. Good, as I said, I like 'em.

I like them being common, I see lots of them every day in and around the fields on my way to work. There's even a pair that nest in the laurel bushes on one of Leed's busiest roundabouts - the Gyratory, too good a name for just a roundabout don't you think? I like the fact that you can identify them from a mile away, on the ground or in flight, thanks to all those white flashes. I just wish that, at half past five in the morning, they'd sing a little further down the street.

No comments: