Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Colour and attitude


pheasant
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
For the past couple of weeks or so I've been trying to concentrate on what I like doing best in my sketchbook - drawing birds. I can see so many things wrong with my sketches but who cares, birds are so great to draw and paint. Here's another one, a male pheasant, how could you not want to try to render something looking like this?

I came to be sketching pheasants as it was too cold and wet for a walk yesterday, so we went for a drive through the villages and farmland to the north of Garforth. There was one field, near Aberford, full of pheasants. Well, four males really, but they're such resplendant birds they filled the field with their colour and attitude, and it was a small field. Their strutting out in the open is a sure sign they are on the lookout for females, which in turn is a sure sign that spring is on its way.

2 comments:

Nicky said...

I love pheasants too. They are gorgeous aren't they? Great sketch.

fin said...

That pheasant is lovely. They're such interesting birds.