Saturday, February 04, 2006

Graceful decay


corn
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
This is the remains of my attempt to grow baby corn cobs. I put them in early enough last year, but the summer was a bit up and down if I remember rightly, as was my watering regime. Leeds is bit northerly for such things as well. I live in hope so I'll try again this year.

The corn plant had such a stately air about it and it decayed so very gracefully that it's been left all winter. I'll tidy the garden in the coming weeks. Now that everything is starting to think about spring, there's an incongruity about the close proximity of Nature's first stirrings and the detritus that I've been too tardy to remove.

However, things will need to go some to catch the purple hebe in the front garden, which has been in flower since the end of January.

1 comment:

Gretel said...

I like watching decaying things, and it's good to leave them, for the insects to refuge in until the warm comes...what a nice sketch, btw!