Saturday, June 24, 2006

Jubilee Gardens and Poppies


poppies in pastel
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
I took Nathan and Mia to Wetherby this afternoon. I needed to go to Castlegate Stationery, a brilliant little art supplies shop with some really unusual stuff, although I was buying anything but the unusual - fixative. As it was so beautifully warm we went to Jubilee Gardens as well, for a sit down for me and a runabout for Nathan. Wetherby has a lovely riverside park with a bandstand, the problem is that it's so lovely it's always packed and there's no parking on a day like today. The answer is Jubilee Gardens. At the other end of town, few people seem to know about it, it's still by the river (River Wharfe) but it's completely fenced off from the river - very handy with a very mobile two and a half year old in tow. Quiet, great views and safe, just the job and the four oystercatchers peeping overhead agreed.

On the way home we passed this poppy field, just outside Wetherby. I've blogged about poppy fields before and I still can't pass one without stopping to admire the spectacle.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my goodness -- this is really beautiful! How I would love to see that field in person -- but since I can't, you conveyed it well!

Cin said...

Hi Ken!

many thanks for your very kind comment :)

I am just learning silverpoint, basically it is drawing with a metal stylus on a treated paper (usually just painted with a wash of chinese white watercolor), because the stylus is made from silver the drawing tarnishes over time and produces a wonderful patina, the difficulty with this medium is you can't erase! The word "silverpoint" on my post is a link to more info.

Poppy's are one of my favorite flowers, a whole field of them, how wonderful! I would stop every time too!

The self portrait marathon isn't over till July 8th, care to join in? :)

Lindsay said...

I've just had a lovely first visit to your blog. Your drawings are lovely!I'll be back for more! Oh yes, and happy birthday.