Saturday, July 01, 2006

Moore Sheep


sheep in pastel
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
It was very warm today, so this ewe must have been very very warm. However, knowing our summers, give it a week and she'll probably be glad of that fleece.

I was looking at Henry Moore's Sheep Sketchbook again and was inspired (as usual) to draw sheep. Some days they really do all look the same, no matter how hard you try to use an artistic eye to find something new. It's that heat again, I'm just not used to it.

We had a hedgehog in the garden last night, only the second in nine years. Along with the tawny owl, the rat, the squirrel and inumerable cats in the garden in the last few weeks, I think I'm only missing a couple of rabbits to complete the cast of Beatrix Potter.

2 comments:

Gretel said...

Lovely sheep, you've really captured the chunkness of it - Henry Moore is terribly awesome, I think of him whenever I have occasion to bung a sheep in a sketch, (on the rare times I sketch outdoors...)

Alice said...

Your black-faced sheep reminded me of all the delightful little lambs with black faces that we used to see on Dartmoor.

Whenever we saw sheep in England we were always struck by how white they were. I couldn't work out why I noticed sheep much more in England than I did back in Australia. A couple of days after returning home, we went for a drive. A few miles out of town we passed a paddock (field) of sheep. Suddenly it dawned on me that I never really notice sheep here because they are not white, unless newly shorn. They are a dirty white/grey colour. The wind blows the dust into the wool and they blend in with the dry grass. We don't have enough rain to keep the grass green and the fleece washed clean.