Saturday, October 01, 2005

A different kind of flyover


study of canada geese
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
It's official - it is autumn! It's been autumn since Wednesday morning at about a quarter to seven, because that's when the geese flew over for the first time since last spring.

From late September through to early March, a small flock of 30-60 Canada geese fly directly over our house from... er, somewhere to... erm, somewhere else. They usually fly south in the morning and north in the evening, but sometimes it's the other way round and today they flew south both morning and evening?! There's plenty of fields around to feed in, not that I've ever seen them during the day, but I don't know of anywhere in the vicinity that they might roost on dark nights.

To be honest, I don't know where the geese go and I don't care. Just like I don't care they're an introduced species that some folk don't care for, and I don't care it's not Islay or north Norfolk numbers. That's because each time I hear them, I still excitedly rush to the window or door, hoping to catch a glimpse of the geese flying over. My spirit flies with them.

3 comments:

ken said...

Further to this post, this morning we had record (for me) numbers over, with around 250-260 flying past. What a spectacle.

Sandy said...

hmmmm....thats where they go.

Alice said...

As a migrating birdwatcher, I presume you saw that wonderful movie "Travelling Birds"? If not, then you really must. I love your sketches, too.