Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Who's laughing now?


BH gull
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
Twitching is like eating chips, I know its wrong but I still like it once in a while. Twitching is chasing after rare birds that someone else has found, it's more of a lazy sport than anything to do with nature so I try to limit my twitching to local rarities. This has lead to me spending lots of the last week trying to see a Laughing gull that's been hanging around the Pontefract and Featherstone area. Well, the bird's laughing - at me, and I should think any north american readers are laughing - because it's probably very common over there.

I finally caught up with the gull yesterday evening, got the adrenaline rush, watched it for half an hour then went home for tea. I was very happy.

The other upside to this tale is that I've basically spent a week watching flocks of common and black-headed gulls. I've improved my skills, I know common and black-headed gulls in all variations of winter plumage, and from all angles, in flight and on the ground (not that you'd know it from my sketch, perhaps). I've spent more time than I normally would simply being closer to nature. There are worse ways to spend your time.

No comments: