Monday, March 20, 2006

Cruelty

I copied this sketch from a drawing by Dave Nurney in ‘Birds in England’, about the state of the wild bird populations in England. I hope that by crediting the original I’m not breaking too many copyright laws, I wouldn’t normally copy a picture to put here on my blog, but I just found this such a striking image. Especially so in the week after reading ‘Peak Malpractice’, a report by the RSPB on the persecution, and resultant lack, of birds of prey in the northern part of the Peak District (Dark Peak), a place particularly close to my heart.

It brought to mind this quote, which I suppose could apply to so many other injustices as well:

Cruelty must be whitewashed by a moral excuse, and pretence of reluctance.
- George Bernard Shaw

1 comment:

Gretel said...

ohh I HATE this kind of thing...I really do. Thankfully the estate and surrounding farms here have an enlightened view of birds of prey, and they thrive. As does the rest of the wildlife, including the poor old pheasants (not technically wild, but not bothered by birds of prey).

(BTW, Copying is a very good exercise, and one that is sadly neglected in art schools now).