Monday, March 27, 2006

Daft about daffs


daffodils
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
The daffs are out good and proper now, it must be spring! I'm not really too bothered about individual daffodils, although I do like the miniature tete-a-tete variety, if that's how you spell it. This said, daffs do put on an impressive show just when you need it, when it feels like it's been winter forever and spring seems to have been just round the corner for almost as long. It's like coming up for air.

I'm interested in the phenomena caused by microclimates, and I think that daffodils are one of these. As you'd expect, daffs in the city (on roundabouts, etc.) were out before those in more countrified areas but I've noticed that daffs on east facing verges are out before west facing ones, virtually without exception. Also, the difference between daffs on north and south facing verges, which I thought would be easier to explain, is much more variable. Anyone got any ideas?

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love the daffs, too! We had some that were always the last to bloom in the neighborhood -- then a nearby tree had to be removed and now they're the first to bloom. It has to have something to do with the warmth of the soil. Go figure!

Alice said...

I don't really have an answer to your conundrum on the variability of daffodil flowering, but most plants do seem to prefer the easterly sun, rather than the west. I've always assumed that was because the morning sun wasn't as hot as the late afternoon sun, but perhaps it has something to do with the timing rather than the temperature. Maybe it's the early sunshine they need as they come out of the night?