Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Greedy Greeny


greenfinch
Originally uploaded by wherethewolvesare.
Greenfinches are just plain greedy. They park themselves on the feeders and proceed to empty them virtually single-handed or should that be single-beaked. They drive off the other garden birds to get a bigger share. Oh yes, and they won’t win any prizes for singing either. Don’t you just love ‘em? I do…really!

Being such conspicuous birds, you’d think they’d be easy to draw but I find them so difficult. I struggle to capture that sort of scowling look they have around the eyes and the bullish head and neck shape. You wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve tried and failed. This weekend I persevered, and I know the Tate Gallery won’t exactly be knocking on my door, but I feel that this is my best effort to date.

What’s funny is that although I drew from life, just looking out the back window at the feeders, I got so engrossed in scribbling and splashing paint about, that I didn’t notice what a field guide pose I’d drawn. This is a rather to frequent occurrence, I think I must have spent so much time looking at field guides that my subconscious wants all bird pictures to have all of the identifiable features of the species.

Next project – abstract greenfinch in flight. Watch this space.

No comments: